View Single Post
Old Sun, December 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Almost not a Newbie

CageFighter_Dan will become famous soon enough
there is no reason that he can not use the original harness, i believe your original motor utilized a cop ignition , what ever ignition system that went to your original spark plugs , just use that same system and plug them right into the spark plugs the same way, your pcm will fire it just like it was the original , there is just a difference in size of the injectors is all , but that only gets addressed when it comes time for the tuning, bills side of things, there is going to be some lengthening of some of the wires, such as the one that goes to the back of the throttle body , its really not that big of an issue, and a little bit of modding for the bracket system for which ever ignition system you use. but you might get lucky and not have to , non of this stuff is extremely difficult , and all of the vacuum lines will work the same , if he can't make the original wire harness work , then you have more issues then him being able to finish this job efficiently , i am in no way more then a back yard mechanic and this was my very first engine swap , let alone an conversion, and i managed to do this , so if this mechanic has any sort of papers backing him up or experience he should easily be able to tackle this project. read over my notes i listed before about my personal experience on my swap, as well the connection to the inside under the throttle body sensor ( not sure what it is called) but it comes out in the back from under the throttle body, had a different end on it apposed to what was on my original engine, same sensor, same function just different connection, i simply cut and spliced what i had from the original engine , only two wires to deal with, so the new engines sensor would plug into the original harness, you may not run into this problem , but i think you may. again there is no reason to not use the original pcm/ecm or harness to feed info to it. it does require alittle bit of moddification , but what custom conversion project these days doesn't