View Single Post
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Just remember, the strategy relearns to a particular set of driving characteristics. The softer you drive it, the softer it shifts. Soft shift strategies will cause excessive slippage during shifts and accelerate clutch wear.

For what it's worth, the 4R70/75 is not the bulletproof trans people say it is. It is a good trans, but a large number of the TSB and FSA notices deal with shifting issues, particularly '06 and '07. Ford has always had a hard time with transmissions, from the E4OD up to the 5R100. It seems like the ONLY vehicle that ever worked right was the 4R100 behind the Gen 2 Lightnings. Boy, how I'd love to put one of those in my Expy!

To answer your question, given the number of units on the street (numbering in the 10's of thousands just with Evolutions), historically we haven't seen any significant increase in transmission failure on vehicles running a programmer versus those running without. What may happen is that any performance increase will exploit a weakness and may accelerate a failure, but it's a fair bet that the transmission was going to suffer the failure anyway but possibly at a later point.

Like Lars, I drive our Expy it like I stole it (much to Corey's irritation). We've got close to 70K now and it runs and shifts like a top.

I hope this is helpful

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!