View Single Post
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
Does it pull that much juice in sleep mode??
I measured it and Bill confirmed my measurement. It uses about 50 milliamps (or 0.05 amps) as "keep-alive" current. Now, that's not much by itself, but my truck also pulls 0.05 amps when it's turned off once everything is powered down according to my measurements.

So, if you add the two, you have a steady 0.1 amp drain on the battery when the truck is parked. In 24 hours, you've sucked 2.4 amps out of the battery.

Interstate says a battery is dead when it has lost 50 amps. That happens in just under 21 days at a steady 2.4 amp/day drain.

If you open a door, use the keyless entry system, etc., you turn on lights that really suck power out of the battery for a while until everything is allowed to power down again. Once a battery gets low, its voltage is reduced which causes the amp drain to increase too since all these "gadgets" need a specific amount of "keep alive" power (which is volts x amps). I also know that a low battery causes the Gryphon's screen to stay lit, even when off, and that pulls MUCH more power too.

Bottom line, if your truck is going to be parked a long time, disconnect the Gryphon or use a Battery Tender, like I do.

Hope this all makes sense.

- Jack