View Single Post
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bill's post about the current draw of average LEDs makes me revise my response to you SinCityFX4. If there's one LED in your switch pulling .035 amps, your total parked draw without the Gryphon could be around .085 amps, and you'd have a 50 amp discharge in just over 24 days. If there are two LEDs that are lit, the time is reduced to just over 17 days.

It's possible that your truck doesn't use as much power when parked as my King Ranch does, but I wouldn't bet on it. To cut the power consumption when I open my doors, I replaced the interior dome and map lights with LEDs, and since I have a cap over the bed, I simply removed the bed light bulbs. (They could be replaced with LEDs though too). I think all of these bulbs are rated at about 10-15 watts, which means they each pull between .83 - 1.25 amps when lit, much more than an LED. I know they all go out 20 seconds after I close the door, but still, there's a high draw for a while.

I know you want the PIAA 525's in an "always ready" configuration, but if the switch remains lit up, you may be risking a dead battery if your truck sits for over two weeks.

- Jack
Jack: How much of an impact does cold weather have on these figures?
My truck is an FX4......doesn't have quite as many bells and whistles as yours but does have 6 disk changer, power seats, etc. I left my truck for exactly 7 days (with gryphon plugged in) in covered parking lot and average temp during that time was -25c or -13F and battery didn't have enough juice to even roll starter.
Another funny thing is.......when I put key in the ignition things started to go wonky as well. The CD player started screwing around with the discs. It's like it couldn't remember which disc was supposed to be in which of the 6 slots. I'm surprised the digital clock was even able to keep the time - it was so :censored3: cold!
Custom tunes