View Single Post
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

There is still speculation as to what EXACTLY was the issue. I have found a specific set of problems that related to calibrations done for the PMR engines that weren't exactly related to the tuning, but were an actual error in the file itself. The tip-off on that was the fact that people were experiencing problems switching levels when they shouldn't have been. Even with that, the Econo files looked like the timing was more aggressive then it needed to be and that may have been a contributing factor to the failures.

In general, the consensus is that timing helps improve mileage by keeping as much heat energy in the cylinders. This would be immediately recognizable by the lower EGT and boost levels at cruise. Unfortunately, this also contributed to the now infamous "Death Rattle" which would cause engines to pop. I've not seen this with stock injected engines so there must be something specific to the Stage 2 injector setup that simply doesn't like timing.

Tuning with the timing tables is a bit of a fine art. Watching boost, EGTs, and even listening to what the engine is telling you can be an indication if you're going too far. Of course, using cylinder pressure test equipment is the final answer to all of life's mysteries (in relation to how your tuning is going), but at $7000.00+ it is out of reach of most people.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!