View Single Post
Old Mon, April 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, let's look at the "bold faced" statement:. "if it does up the pressure by much the stock hole that it is still hooked up to will dissipate it.."

Remember, you DO always have constant airflow UP the intake into the engine upstream of the "Y". So, that air HAS to come from somewhere. The amount of air moving is a function of demand by the engine and the supply capacity. If the demand exceeds the supply, the pressure in the tube is reduced. But, having two inlets to the "Y" should effectively add to the supply capability, regardless of "pressure". So, my take on it would be that there would be little to no "restriction" effect. However, any positive pressure provided by the tube going to the "ram" intake is going to be split, and any airflow gain may actually be canceled by turbulent interactions.

I honestly don't know what the effect will be. As I've said before, aerodynamics is a VERY complicated "science", and it's not really that well understood. Most of the "theory" is empirically derived. You would need a lab setup to test the possible gains of this configuration.

- Jack