View Single Post
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
I just purchased a used Gryphon programmer from a local guy. He said Bill did some live tuning with him and his truck. I assumed I could not use these custom tunes....so I downloaded Pegasus and did a firmware and calibration update..There appeared to be 3 version update available so I took the latest one. Hope that was the correct one.

Is it safe to use in my truck now?

Do I need to send in the hex code for future reference? If so, how do I get that code without plugging it into my truck?

Thanks
We need a teeny bit more information to be able to answer you. Did you and the other guy have the same model year truck "families" - I'm asking, do you and he have 04-08 trucks or, 97-03 trucks? If they are in the same group, I think you are good to go.

Interesting that there were three version updates - the latest would be the ones you want. AND, if you updated the calibrations in Pegasus, you are back to "canned" tunes, and you need to be in this state.

So, assuming you have the same age group trucks, you can simply turn the ignition key in your truck to ON (don't start the engine) and plug the Gryphon in. (The key HAS to be ON when you connect the Gryphon or it won't boot properly.)

From this point, you can program your truck to any of the 3 canned tunes on the Gryphon. I recommend the Level 2 "tow" tune, unless you are using 91+ octane gas. The Level 2 tune is an excellent daily driver tune and I think you'll like how it feels. Don't do any "Custom Tuning" when this is offered. Let it just load the canned tune.

If the Gryphon is from a different year group than your truck, it won't work until Bill does some magic, for a price. Sorry!

But, I'm assuming they are from the same year group - so hit [Menu]->[Diagnostics]->[Tech Support]->[Vehicle Info] and ignore any warning messages you might see. I seem to remember you have to get past the first screen you see here by hitting [Enter] and then you see a value of 7 letters and digits ending in ".hex". Mine is "RXCM5E4.HEX" and yours should have a similar form. That's the "hex" code you need.

I think the previous screen had the Gryphon Serial Number, so write that down too. You will need both when you contact PHP for custom tunes.

In the meantime though, just drive the truck on Level 2 and enjoy the improved shifting response, power and possibly better fuel economy!

Edit: I got sidetracked, so these two youngsters beat me to a reply. As you can see, I like to talk more. I also forgot you will see your hex code when you first connect the Gryphon - old age I guess.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer