View Single Post
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CredURDead View Post
Jack you seem to just read my mind, just like on the other forum, thats what I was looking for, I guess the confusion came with the three choices and me only wanting 1 or 2 of them, performance tune, possibly a towing tune, but I have nothing to tow regularly(the wife is buying a wake-board boat...someday) so I have no estimated weight to add in for information to help with the tune. SO, I can probably get by with just the performance tune, 50/50 driving like yourself, and I will have to check the elevation for Minneapolis, MN

Jack, nice write up on "Questions about tunes read this" on f150online! It was helpful. I am assuming your canned tunes analogy was in reference to Edge programmers, and Custom tunes would be the gryphon-Bill? Yes-No?

I am not going to be racing, just some power when I need it, and a few times when I don't.

thanks guys, I THINK I know what to do now, but am open to suggestions before I send it in.

CRedURDead
Glad it's making sense! Yes, the "Canned Tunes" did refer to the tunes you see on the Edge, or, the SCT SF3 or a number of other programmers that come from the "factory" with preloaded tunes. The "Custom Tunes" would be those done by Bill on the Gryphon, or Justin, Mike or Bill on an X3 in response to a specific order by you. The DiabloSport device is kind of "in between" those two positions, because it's a bit more "customized" than an ordinary "canned" device but is still not truly customized. I had to write that thread in a very "neutral" way, because I cannot be seen to be a huge supporter of PHP over the other paying sponsors. I try to maintain that neutrality over there, and it's important to do that because those products are good too.

I specifically told Bill I wanted to be able to get around other vehicles on 2-lane roads at highway speeds, but that I was NOT interested in racing to stoplights. I find I still have all the power I need off a standstill, or when accelerating to get onto the interstates, even in California with their "metered" entrances. And, almost ALL of my driving in the truck is on the highway, not 50/50. (I have an old Honda Accord I drive around town).

Just so you'll know, I originally did a conversion, just like you, and replaced only the Level 2 tow tune with a custom tow tune (since I tow). Later, I figured out we actually liked to drive the monster on non-towing trips too, so I had the Level 1 tune replaced with an 87 economy/performance tune.

Anyway, I've been happy with what I got and I suspect you will be too.

- Jack