View Single Post
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Roseman View Post
I have an 06' 5.4L with aero 3030 exhaust, 3 in leveling kit, AF1 CAI. I was wondering what the custom tunes do exactly? Are they just messing with the setting I can customize on my performance setting already or are they more advanced than that? Either way I don't know enough about it to customize my own as far as timing, shift firmness, etc. Also, I wanted to know if anyone has any advice as far as making my own setting on performance canned tune. Bill, I will be requesting some custom tunes either way but just wanted some information.

I would appreciate any help!

thanks,
Jon
You COULD be running lean with the CAI if you're using canned tunes. That's one thing Bill can adjust for in a custom tune. What else? Well, what altitude do you normally drive at? What is your average outside temperature? Are you pulling anything besides what Edge thought was a "standard" trailer?

He can adjust line pressures to the transmission that you can't. He can adjust the fuel map much more precisely for your needs than what you get with the canned tune. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the dynamic timing curve can be manipulated in ways you don't have access to.

According to Corey, there are over 100 parameters that Bill manipulates to give you a custom tune. And, he has years and years of experience at this business.

Sure, you can do a "few" things. Things like increasing your WOT RPM, WOT shift points and normal shift points. You can change your timing, gears, tire size and shift "firmness", and a few other minor things, but that's about all.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Jon!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer