Thread: Downshifting
View Single Post
Old Mon, December 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangingd View Post
Hey Jack, I would set the PID for your trans gear to display and watch it. It sounds like the torque converter is unlocking for the grade then locking back up after. You will see a little lock appear when converter locks up. You will also be able to see if it's down shifting but that would be pretty obvious.
Thanks, bangingd. I feel it's probably the torque converter too. I suspect the transmission downshifting from 4th to 3rd would be a much bigger rpm change. I like your suggestion, but I can't figure out which PID to display. The only ones I know of that directly relate to transmission gearing are the OSS and TSS (Output and Turbine Shaft Speeds). I used to monitor these when I first got the programmer, but decided they weren't telling me a whole lot. Is it one (or both) of these? (And if so, I don't ever remember seeing a "lock" but this could be another of my "senior moments").

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer