Thread: new shocks
View Single Post
Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
So i got my oil changed for free from the dealer today and they said I need new shocks... so what does anyone know about them that will help me buy them? I do plan on towing a little, but nothing too heavy, and I still want a decent ride, but the ability to go off road and have fun.
They quoted $700 for both front and back, $400 for the front, $200 for the back, and the rest was tax and labor. that sound right?
Thanks for the help!
I've not had to change mine on my truck, but the price sounds about right to me. One thing though, a dealer will tell you your shocks need changing if they detect a leak during a service visit. They will always change them in "pairs" on the same axle, even if only one is bad. In my opinion, they are being a bit too "proactive" here. If you do the "bounce test" - (push down strongly on each corner of the vehicle and see if it settles in one rebound), your shocks can wait.

Of course, I've seen vehicles going down the road bouncing up and down like they were on "jelly", and those vehicles are totally unsafe. I've never seen a shock just suddenly "fail" due to total loss of a seal (about the only way they can fail I think). Mostly, they just start "seeping". I think you can put off service as long as you keep a close eye on things (the bounce test).

Going off road puts additional stress on things, so DO keep that eye on them if you follow the "delay" advice. I don't think towing is much of a factor.

A shock is used to dampen out the "springiness" in the suspension, so it doesn't just continue to oscillate up and down after a bump. Other than that, it has no real effect. A shock does not actively support the weight of the vehicle. But, a corner or an axle that is bouncing without being damped effects your control adversely.

And, if anyone disagrees, PLEASE don't be afraid to add your opinion. I've gone both ways in the past, changing them at the first sign of seepage and waiting till I had more money.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer