Thread: WOW
View Single Post
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm not Bill of course, but since they're "unreachable" for a bit, I can try to answer some of your questions.

I'm not a "young one" either (68 in January) so, speed off the red light is not my bag. I tow a travel trailer (about 3600#) and often find myself on 2-lane roads. My truck is essentially stock (in terms of "performance" mods) but I did make the CAI for it.

So, why do I think a Gryphon is the best thing I've done for my truck?

First, passing performance. I'd like to keep moving at 65mph when towing. On the 2-lane roads, I find myself behind folks that like to go slower, or who don't know how to keep their speed constant. The stock f150 has a horrible throttle lag when you step on the gas and a soft, squishy shift feel that just seems to take forever. With the Gryphon, the downshift is almost immediate and the engine revs up to the optimum RPM for power before upshifting, then, it's quick and crisp. The result is, I get around someone I'm passing much quicker, which feels safer to me.

Nest, fuel economy. Before I got the Gryphon, I was getting in the mid-10 mpg range when towing. Now, I get around 12.5-12.7 while towing. I actually started with an Edge, which improved the economy some, and when I had it converted to a Gryphon, the economy improved another 0.7 mpg.

You can probably get the same results using another programmer, such as an XCal, but I also want the ability to monitor things like my transmission fluid temp and battery voltage when towing. I also want to know immediately if there are any DTC's being thrown, and, I appreciate the "alarm" feature of the Gryphon that tells me when any number of a group of preset limits is exceeded. You don't have this capability with an XCal.

Finally, as I said in another post, PHP gets the pod from Edge and the color is the color of the plastic. It matches the majority of the new f150s. If there was a demand, they'd probably make them in other colors. Failing that though, I imagine a company like paintscratch.com could mix up a spray can of paint that would be a near-perfect match (IF they had a part to match it with). It's also possible that Bill or Corey could find someone local to mix a matching paint (if they had a part for color matching purposes). Once the formula was determined, it would be simple to order a can of matching paint, and it's something Bill and Corey might even consider selling.

Bill and Corey's customer service and interest in us is unmatched.

So, hope these answers help you decide. I know I would NOT want to drive my truck without the Gryphon!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer