View Single Post
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I don't understand what you mean when you say "timing". Is it valve timing? Can this be adjusted on diesels? As you can see, I know next to nothing about this kind of engine beyond the fact that it ignites fuel using compression only once started and that it has more power potential.

I suppose it idles at higher RPM when cold, like a gas guzzler? If so, it's getting a somewhat richer fuel mixture, and maybe the throttle is held a bit more open? Could it be that this is a normal sound at this RPM that is partially masked by road noises if the vehicle is underway?

My sister's truck has the same engine as yours. Someday, maybe I'll talk her into getting one of Bill's tunes for it. And, she's in Colorado Springs, where it gets pretty cold too.

I'd be good if someone with diesel knowledge added their thoughts here. In the meantime, I'll try to keep the thread alive.

- Jack