Thread: First Post
View Single Post
Old Tue, December 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

That's a pretty impressive piece of hardware, Henry! Is it hard to mount on the truck? (Looks a bit heavy to me).

However, it looks to me like it doesn't really block the airflow into the radiator much at all. I suspect any overheating you'd get would be due to running at high RPMs and very low forward speed. Still, you're performing this operation in winter, when the air is cold, so I'd expect things to stay relatively cool.

One thing nice: with the Gryphon you can monitor your Cylinder Head Temp (CHT), Oil Temp and Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) and you'll get a digital readout that tells you exactly how hot things are getting. I wouldn't even bother with the Coolant Temp. It's not actually measured at all but is inferred from the CHT. Don't be surprised when you see the oil temp go up quickly when the engine is under load. Mine shoots up close to 250 degrees when I'm pulling my trailer up a long incline in a lower gear range, but the CHT stays around 212-214 under those conditions.

- Jack