View Single Post
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
Ok I think I am gonna leave all the WHY questions to you now Cody.. then at some point I am going to put them all in one thread and get Jack to make them a sticky... Excellent explanation as usual. I give it

As for my previous post, It looks like the Timing is an actual setting and not a modifier? that's why I thought it should be different for each different map... Here is the Stock sea level vs altitude map

...........we know the burn(Combustion) time is a constant at the selected altitude.. so if the engine is turning faster you should need to start the Burn earlier given the same amount of fuel. Right?
so why does the stock setting retard the timing so much in the higher RPM's in that sea level map.. also it seems like there is a mid RPM range that requires retarding the timing a bit that I am wondering the reasoning behind it (is there another modifier somewhere in the parameters that justifies the retarding of the timing that I am missing)

The problem with tuning the 7.3L is that there is no table ANYWHERE that sets start of injection. There are numerous factors that come into play and the the SOI tables are just another "modifier". Injection pressure control, engine oil temperature, boost pressure, etc. all play a part in when the PCM DECIDES to initiate SOI. It's not a simple "oh, 7 degrees BTDC is the "timing" and that's it." The PCM bases fueling rates and SOI on a large number of things.

Here's a hint as to why the timing table has a dip in it. Compare the MFD in the "ICP desired" map. See a trend? As the ICP ramps up quickly, the SOI takes a dip. Increased injection pressure actually advances the ignition point of the fuel in the combustion chamber due to better atomization and higher fuel rate (more fuel in less time).

Higher boost pressures in the higher RPM ranges affect the ignition point as well. More boost = higher dynamic compression = earlier ignition point. So therefore, a slightly less advanced SOI.