View Single Post
Old Wed, November 18th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default Longshot270's resurrection post

Well, while we are all doing our reintroductions, I graduated with my BS (bachelor of science) in aquatic biology December 2012. Then worked as a Team Lead at Tractor supply for a bit, that was fun but $10/hr (negotiated rate, standard was $9) wasn't cutting it. So I thought about going back to grad school for an actual B.S. (bull shot) degree and to use it for networking, something I should have done in the first place. While talking with a professor about going back but firmly stating I wasn't going to be taking out any loans, he offered me a part time job for $12/hr removing invasive plants from the San Marcos river. That was an interesting job spending up to 6 hours per day on a scuba tank and did lots of good restoring sections of the river that had been clogged up with weeds like hydrilla. Got a job with Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as a public water system inspector and switched over to night school for a semester. Between the long drive of living in San Marcos, working in San Antonio (40 miles away), driving back to San Marcos then sitting in classrooms with pathetically ignorant "grad students", I called it quits. I'd already gotten a professional job and the additional degree wasn't going to move me forward. Back then, gas was $4/gallon and my fuel bill was insane so I traded the 2wd F150 for a jeep patriot and proceeded to have lots of fun in a light weight 4wd. It's a shame they didn't put a bigger engine/transmission in that little car. Did lots of surf fishing and just about burnt up the tranny pulling a fishing trailer with generator, gear, kayak rack, etc, back and forth from SM to beaches between corpus Christi and sargent. Traded it for a ram 1500 4x4, and it has been a really fun truck. More capable than the jeep, much faster than the Ford (4.6 vs 5.7). Moved to DFW in 2018, got married October 2019 and we've been enjoying our many camping trips with many more to come. We still have a Ford, Ford Escape, so I'm not completely away from Fords, but now I only modify engines I'm ok with blowing up. Like a motorized bicycle (RIP 2012), long tail engine on a Jon boat (RIP 2017), and craftsman GT5000 I'm converting into a cheap ATV.