View Single Post
Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
What I saw this morning just made me think if the car hauling company was coming out ahead of the game.

So
$304-$233::$71
That's the savings with option 2.

-Lars
I love these kinds of costing excercises.

With two cars to be moved, you might be right that it's cheaper to just use two drivers to drive the cars. But there's probably more stuff to be considered:

$9.00 an hour doesn't cover the true people costs, at least not for the kind of folks you would actually want driving new cars hundreds of miles on the interstate. It might cover the paycheck, but there's payroll taxes, healthcare, SSI, etc. So even with 9 bucks and hour to the driver, the actual cost will be more like $14 or $15 per hour to the employer. A bad business decision would be to, "just find some college kids and give 'em a few bucks cash"

Is it acceptable to the customer that a few hundred miles are added to the car during transportation? If a used car, maybe that's OK. But for a brand-new car, a couple hundred miles on the clock is probably not going to be OK.

How about rock dings and other such minor damage from driving on the highway? If I load the cars on a transporter, I can wrap them up nice to prevent that.

In the case of the transporter, it "scales" well for added cars. Same truck/trailer at 5 mpg, but there's little added cost for taking a third or fourth car on the same run. No extra driving labor, no extra gas.

Insurance? I got one or two drivers to insure with the truck/trailer, and a minimum of two drivers for on-the-road method. Not sure what kind of trailer you saw, but if it's big enough, it might require a driver with a commercial license. That's good, bucease we're more likely to get professional driver with a clean DMV record. But somebody with a commercial license won't be around long at 9 bucks an hour.

But, my bigger rig, aside from the gas costs also has bigger insurance, maintenance, and finance costs. Those costs tend to be fixed (monthly nut), so my cost per transported vehicle per mile goes down for each additional car I can load on the rig.

Also, we need to account for getting everybody and everything back home at the end. Fly our drivers back after putting them up for a night in a hotel? Take an extra vehicle for the return trip? Drive the transporter back empty?

Yes, this kind of analysis passes for "fun" in my world.