View Single Post
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Again, to clarify - you use the Hypertech to return your vehicle to stock before trying to program it with any other programmer.

The MAIN difference between the Gryphon and the Edge is in it's firmware, which allows the Gryphon to accept custom tunes. The Edge can only hold "canned" tunes.

In addition, Bill "recases" the device in a black case (which looks better to me) and he does "tweak" the canned tunes that are initially in it a bit, so they're better than the canned tunes in the Edge.

Your CAI probably doesn't play too well with canned tunes. This could be the cause of your problems with the Hypertech. The "Gotts" version will work fine with canned tunes. Your model year truck doesn't have the "lean running" problems that showed up with CAIs in 2004 and 2005 though.

Custom tunes will improve your performance with the Airaid.

The mounting pod for the 2002 model Gryphon (and Edge) is black, and is somewhat different than the one used for later models, I believe. For a while, they used it through 2006, and I still have one of the old ones (in addition to the newer design). Both work fine and don't interfere with anything in the dash.

- Jack