Thread: trans tuning.
View Single Post
Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Whopper

mustang_gt_350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
There are 2 switches which control the trans and converter states.

Switch 1 will turn on or off the ability to lock the trans into a specific gear. There is a values that is used in conjunction with this to select the gear in which to stay locked (1, 2, 3, or 4).

Switch 2 will turn on or off the ability to lock the converter. On 94-97 this is simply an on or off state. On 99 and later, it is used in conjunction with with a value that determines the pulsewidth in which to lock the converter. Normally, this would be set to 100%, but if you're really curious as to how fast you can fry your converter clutch you could set this to 25% or 50%.

We frequently do "sled-pull" applications on a chip that goes something like this...

Pos 1: 2nd Gear, Converter Unlocked, Fuel Curve modified to spool and light turbos
Pos 2: 2nd Gear, Converter Unlocked, Pulling Fuel Curve
Pos 3: 2nd Gear, Converter Locked, Pulling Fuel Curve
Pos 4: 3rd Gear, Converter Locked, Pulling Fuel Curve
Pos 5: 4th Gear, Converter Locked, Pulling Fuel Curve
Pos 6: Normal Operation, Light Fuel Curve

Instead of 1st gear, we can also set up to start in 1st gear.

These types of strategies work really well because they completely bypass most of the delay circuits in the shift strategies and just grab the gear desired. The only drawback is that you have to be very careful when switching or you could accidentally skip a position and jump 2 gears instead of 1. In a bouncy truck it's quite easy.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
I know i'm bringing back an old post. But I'm going to play around with gear selections with my chip. I'm guessing that "trans test switch" needs to be turned on for it to actually select the gear your telling it to in the " trans test gear select" correct? I'm not really in need of the TC locking with the software as i prefer to use my manual switch on the dash for locking the TC. But i noticed you said that the "converter duty cycle test value" should be 100% or it will feather the TC when it locks? I notice the default on my sled pull tune you did for me is 0%. So I'm guessing that the "converter duty cycle test value" only applies if you are turning on the "switch to manually lock converter"? So I am safe to let the TC duty cycle at 0 as long as i do not turn on the "switch to manually lock the converter" correct?

Just wanting to verify so i don't burn out my TC.

EDIT: it was late and forgot to mention exactly what i was going for. I'm going for a manual shift, example, pos. 1 is first gear, pos2 is 2nd, pos 3 is 3rd gear, and pos 4 is 4th. Then i'll be able to have an almost 8speed. with having my manual TC lock switch i can drop it in and out of lock, Not really somthing i'll probably use but hey, whatever lol. Ive always wanted to hack into the selinoids in the trans and put push buttons on the steering wheel so i could shift like the flipper shifter cars, but this is close enough and alot less work.

Thanks
andy

Last edited by mustang_gt_350; Thu, June 17th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.