View Single Post
Old Wed, April 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Calo, your Dad may be experiencing something that other users of that model year truck don't like, and it seems to be tied in to the new, 6-speed transmission. I think a 4.10 rear end with 35" tires is about equivalent to my 3.73 gears and OEM tires, so I imagine it's geared properly.

As Tico said, the Edge/Gryphon for that model year does not program the transmission, yet, so I doubt he'd see anything MUCH different with it. The engine would produce more power though, and that might be enough to fix things somewhat.

The problem is, he is getting a "part throttle" downshift that is controlled by both engine speed and throttle position. (It's really kind of a "load" commanded shift.) The TCM "sees" a need to drop down two gears to provide the needed power to get up the hill. I see this once in a while in my truck too, especially when towing. 3rd gear isn't quite enough, so it drops into 2nd, which is "way overpowered" for the task. I kind of wish my 3rd gear had a slightly higher ratio than 1:1. It seems like there's not enough difference between it and 4th.

Since I can change the part throttle shift characteristics in my model year, I've corrected this tendency to shift too quickly a bit, but you don't have that option in a 09+ truck.

It's possible that Bill can write a program for the X3 that will adjust the transmission though. You'll have to ask him.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer