View Single Post
Old Mon, September 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Double Whopper

Colt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the informative post. I've got a bit of reading to do on the IDM thing, and wrapping my head around it.. The only "advantage" I can see to the mod is to open the injector quicker, which allows a bit more time to inject fuel due to mechanical delay. But in reality, it would be minimal gain, and probably wouldnt do anything use your looking for max effort ( drag racing, tractor pulls, trying to squeeze every little bit of power you can )...

I actually figured the opening time for a 7.3 injector would be higher than .5 miliseconds. I have a set of 160 # gasser injectors with a opening time of .4. But then again, these run on 12 volts, not 120 LOL.. You'd probably miss the injection event all together waiting for the injector to open up LOL..

I've got a lot of stuff to "forget" with the gassers when it comes to diesels. The gassers can run a 2 step, skipping ignition events allowing some unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, then igniting it in the exhaust system. ( kinda like retarding the timing ALOT ). Kinda hard to skip ignition events with a diesel

You mentioning keeping heat in the combustion chamber by advancing the timing. Your absolutely correct there, and it didnt even cross my mind. Heat = Expansion. If all the expansion is taking place in the combustion chamber, you lose heat in the exhaust which means you lose expansion that would be used to spin the turbo.. So yeah, you'd have better fuel economy, but the turbo would spool slower...

It's funny, I work on diesel's everyday, I know all to well how they operate. Yet when I think tuning, the way things are done with gassers runs through my mind. Thats going to take a while to get used to.
'79 Mustang Turbocharged 302, Aftermarket EFI 563 HP/ 657 TQ
'98 Mustang Stroked, Blown, Aftermarket EFI 498 HP/ 537 TQ
'99 Cobra, no engine ( petal power )
'97 Dodge Ram 1500, Turbocharged 408, Aftermarket EFI

I have far too many toys...