View Single Post
Old Mon, January 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the truck's MAF sensor is able to adjust for the altitude since its primary job is to measure the volume of air that enters the engine. I know that old vehicles and the diesels sometimes have a problem with it since they dont have MAF sensors or any way to correct automatically. I do know that Bill makes adjustments to the WOT fuel based on altitude because during WOT the truck fuels based on that number instead of the sensors.

Usually 5000 ft is the limit of low to high altitude tuning. Since you hover there all the time your truck (most of the time) experiences changes of about 3000 ft. The altitude section on the order form just helps give a ball park of where to set it.

I'll see if I can get Cody to comment, he actually knows what he's talking about.
Maybe I do too!

Since your vehicle is fuel injected and computer controlled, the PCM is able to adjust the fuel input during closed loop operation based on what it's getting from the O2 sensors. In the past, with a carburetor, you had to use high altitude jets (less fuel) to prevent running rich. In Open loop (such as at WOT), Bill would adjust the extra fuel added according to the altitude you normally drive at. But, as Longshot says, the difference between Sea Level and 5,000 feet is relatively minor.

You of course lose power at altitude, because you are bringing in less oxygen and fuel AND, because your actual compression is reduced. (This is kind of misleading - if your engine compression is say, 9.8:1, that ratio doesn't change. But the effective pressure inside the cylinders is less due to the less dense air that was taken in. This makes it possible to burn fuel with a lower octane rating, since the lower pressure makes it less likely you'll get pre-ignition. It's common to see "regular grade" fuel at 85 octane above 5,000 feet.

Hope this all makes sense.

- Jack