View Single Post
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough
Default Checking in from CA

Greetings All,

So I've had my Gryphon (canned tunes) now for a week or two now and wanted to intruduce myself and provide some thoughts and observations.

Level 2, 87 towing, makes a nice daily driver setting. My daily commute is around 50 miles, starting at sea level, over a 1,500 mountain pass, and then back to sea level. Often typical CA stop-and-go highway traffic. The canned #2 seems to quiet down much of upshift/downshift and lock/unlock that goes on in the factory tune. Much more crisp shifts, like the transmission actually knows what to do instead of just wandering around. Also, a bit more power (seat-of-pants dyno) off idle to around 2500 RPM. Hard to say about gas mileage yet, since I'm enjoying the better performance, but I'd guess no worse mileage and maybe 1 or 2 MPG more.

Level 3, 93 performance, makes a nice weekend "fun" setting. My Scottish ancestors wept with shame as I acually paid for a fill-up of 91 octane. We don't have 93 octane anywhere that I know of around here, so I modified the #3 program to take -2.00 counts out of the timing. On a scale of 1 to 10, with the factory tune being a 5, I'd say the #2 canned tune makes the truck into a 7 and the #3 tune, with the octane settings above, make the truck into an easy 8.5.

However, I have developed a new noise from the right side of the cab. When I'm enjoying these new tunes, I often hear a "you're going to get a ticket!" sound from the right seat area.

In general, a very nice product with good support from good folks.