Thread: Lean code
View Single Post
Old Wed, February 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconnaway View Post
Whenever I let the truck idle, I can hear something sounds like it is rattling (I think that may be the fasteners from the Stage 8 bolts), but nothing like a whistle. So, I cleared the lean code and about a week later it popped up again. But this time it had another one...
P0174: System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P2196: O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck rich - Bank 1/Sensor 1

So, what is going on here? My best guess at this point is an exhaust leak on the gaskets (I had reused the Ford factory ones), causing the system too lean code. Truck tried to compensate and started to actually run rich, causing the driver side O2 to go bad... Just want to get ideas before I go back under and start trying to fix things, not exactly the easiest to change the gasket for the passenger side header.

Also, if it makes a difference, I soldered in my own extensions for the front O2 sensors. I wouldn't say I did a poor job, but it was my first time soldering, so could that possibly be causing these issues?
First time soldering? Certainly could be the cause of lots of problems. They could arise from having a poor solder connection to heat damage on the sensor itself during the soldering process. (Although since O2 sensors are exposed to great heat in operation, I suspect that is not the problem.)

The "stuck rich" signal from one of the sensors indicates a sensor malfunction. Those sensors are actually fairly complicated devices, and they incorporate a heating element to get them working sooner. Here's a description or the Heated O2 Sensor:
The HO2S detects the presence of oxygen in the exhaust and produces a variable voltage according to the amount of oxygen detected. A high concentration of oxygen (lean air/fuel ratio) in the exhaust produces a voltage signal less than 0.4 volt. A low concentration of oxygen (rich air/fuel ratio) produces a voltage signal greater than 0.6 volt. The HO2S provides feedback to the PCM indicating air/fuel ratio in order to achieve a near stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 during closed loop engine operation. The HO2S generates a voltage between 0.0 and 1.1 volts.
I really don't have any brilliant ideas about this, but I'd have to suspect a problem with the sensors themselves at this point. Trouble is, they're expensive, so you don't want to replace them if it's not the problem.

Can you tell me exactly what it was that you soldered? Was it "extensions" to the wiring? If so, did you insure you had a solid mechanical connection between the two wires before applying solder and, what did you use to insulate the exposed connection? Solder itself is not really there to conduct electricity - it mostly makes the connection "permanent" and coats the connection to prevent oxidization (corrosion).

- Jack