Thread: Lean code
View Single Post
Old Thu, February 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconnaway View Post
When I soldered them, this is the process I used:
  1. Cut the wiring on the O2 sensor about half way up
  2. Strip wire and the wire for a 6" extension
  3. Heat the wire from the O2 sensor with the soldering gun
  4. Once the wire is hot enough, place a small amount of solder on that wire
  5. Heat the wire from the extension and once hot enough, put solder on this wire
  6. Put the wires together and heat the solder from each wire until they connect
  7. Repeat process for remaining 3 wires
  8. Electrical tape the soldered connections
  9. Electrical tape the entire extension

I was doing this based on what my roommate had told me to do (he's an electrical engineer), but this process definitely has the solder as the main form of contact between the wires. I could go back and try to re-solder the wires to see if that helps. If not, I may end up having to just buy new O2 sensors and actually buy some commercial extensions. Biggest thing though is I really don't want there to be a different problem, replace these sensors, then have them ruined. Just trying to go through the list of the minor/cheaper fixes before tackling that.
What you're doing is called "tinning" the wires (applying solder to the wires before joining them). For electronic projects, with stranded wire especially, I don't care for this procedure. As you say, it initially makes the bond "solder to solder" rather than "wire to wire". Additionally, the solder makes the wires "stiff" so it becomes very hard to twist them together tightly.

When I solder wires, I join them and THEN heat and apply enough solder so that it flows easily into the joined connection, and when it cools, the appearance is "shiny bright" and not "frosted" which would indicate a "cold solder joint". Also, I use a quality grade of electronic solder (which is usually a very fine wire) as opposed to the thicker "rosen core solder". Of course, you never use acid core "metal mender" solder on electrical connections.

Here's a link that contains a video that shows how I join two wires: How To Solder - Soldering Tutorial I use heat shrink tubing to protect the join afterwards and shrink it with a heat gun (a hair dryer will work if you don't have a heat gun). If the area is going to be exposed to heavy elements (like what's under a truck), I will also paint the joint with Liquid Tape (over the shrink tube as additional protection).

Here's another link that shows various splices: New Document The one I like for two wires is the "Western Union Splice". And, I use a soldering gun rather than a low-wattage soldering iron to join wires like this.

I don't like electrical tape. I think heat shrink tubing and Liquid Tape is far superior. I also prefer the heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. I suspect you have enough "original wire" to redo the extensions, if you want to give that a try.

- Jack