Thread: Exaust Smell?
View Single Post
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ouch! I'd forgotten about that! I DO think you're right about it being regulated, probably to prevent formation of sulfuric acid compounds, which ARE dangerous. And, I see from Wikipedia that some people can have deadly allergic reactions to it. However, we all know from chemistry lab days that it takes very little sulfur dioxide to make a stink bomb and you certainly smell it around geysers, volcanoes and even some hot springs.

I imagine our noses are very sensitive to even minute amounts of that compound - amounts that are below any regulated limit.

Thanks for keeping me humble and reminding me I don't know everything, Lars!

- Jack
Oh Jack, I am not trying to humble you. I just had a flash back to the early 90's when they started to make diesel "dryer". They took out a lot more of the lubrication of the fuel by doing this and a lot of those motors fell prone to failure.

Does sulfur create the same compounds when it burns regardless if it is spark ignition(gas) or compression ignition(diesel)?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.