Thread: New 17HMR
View Single Post
Old Fri, July 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I officially cleaned it yesterday. The barrel was very dirty. I'm thinking the original owner never cleaned it before sending it off to me. I tried cleaning it when I got it but all I had was gun oil and some old patches. Put some Hoppes No. 9 and got all kinds of crud out. It ought to be shooting very good groups now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
My friend has a 10-22 that he converted into a .17 and it's a hoot for using on those dang gophers.

My dad has a .17 Remington (centerfire .17) upper for his TC and it is absolutely stunning to shoot. He loads them quite "hot" so they are FAST.

Sweet little rifle, dude!

A couple of my friends came out on Wednesday night and we blew some stuff up with Tannerite. I think we went through 7 or 8 lbs. of the stuff. I was shooting the rifle that my dad made for me back when I was 12 for my first hunting season. I haven't shot it since high school. I forgot just how sweet it is (and he always talked about how he wished he'd kept it). It's nothing special, but it's a Ruger M77 .243 that only weighs 6.5 lbs. I was only 4 feet tall at 12 years old and probably in the 70 lb. range.....so I needed a small rifle. I remember when any bullet over 75 grains in that rifle would just KILL my shoulder.
When the round first came out in 2002ish, Marlin, Ruger and I think Remington made some barrel conversions for their .22 rifles. Then the round got very popular and they started pushing more full rifles.

The 17HMR is basically the shell of a .22 mag that is necked down to a pellet gun caliber. It is a lot of powder to be pushing a 17 grain bullet. Must be why they are around 2550 fps.

I was originally considering a 10-22 but I like bolt actions. Then I got the offer for this one and jumped on it once I saw pictures. I just need to order a few extra magazines. It came with a single 7 round magazine.

I'm also going to try some long shots when I go to my parent's place, over there I can shoot over 200 yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
By the way, is that a GM product key fob I see in the second picture? TRAITOR!!!
Haha, no, that is my remote start. I can't afford a second vehicle, especially a GM. When I was truck shopping they reflected their brand pride through a price tag, and I wasn't going to pay extra for a pride package.