Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old Mon, November 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fone50 View Post
i think somethings going on with my pc lol i plug it all in and then programmer don't come on.... only reason why i think this is cuz my pc wont read my flash drives.. now for some reason...
You CAN lose the USB controller in a PC. I fried the USB card in an older PC once. I was plugging in a "thumb drive" and saw a static spark as my drive touched the USB socket. The PC didn't register the drive when it was connected and I discovered no other USB device would work there either. Oddly enough though, the thumb drive was not damaged.

I think you can also get a corrupted device driver for the USB controllers, that will render them inoperable.

You might investigate "Device Manager" and see if there's any problems showing on your USB controllers (a yellow triangle with an "!" in it says there's problems). On my XP PC, you get there through Control Panel->System->Device Manager. Look at the entries for "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

- Jack