View Single Post
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:05 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
On some older vehicles, we occasionally see a communications issue cause by what is conceivably a timing drift in the communications circuits. This causes the programmer to have difficulty in communicating with the PCM.

To date, I've only had 2 (maybe 3) '97/'98 F-150s that had difficulty programming and the better option for them was to go with a chip instead.

I want to note that we have also seen this issue on the '94-'97 trucks which is why the Evolution (and subsequently the Gryphon) had not been released for those models. It seems that the issue lies specifically with 2-Bank, 88K or 112K PCMs. The '97 and early '98 PCMs are, in fact, 112K memory which classifies them under the old hardware. Again, the older F-150s seem to have MUCH less of a problem with this and as such I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Take care.
Okay, I'll keep this in mind when people ask.

My buddy has a 98' with the 5.4 and he wants a Gryphon and I just realized after a few people mentioning problems, his truck was a 98'. But if you've only had 2 problems where people couldn't use it, he should be fine. I'll let him know.

Thanks.