View Single Post
Old Tue, March 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Whopper

Keeblerz28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Questions b4 sending in Evo for Upgrade

First of all, I would like to quick say hi to everyone. I've been a member on this forum for a little while now, just to do a bit of learning, and now I think I'm ready to ask a few of my own questions. I drive a 2008 F150 XLT 5.4 FFV SCrew 3.73LS. It's basically the FX4 without the skid-plates, center shifter, and badging.

Right now, I have an Evo that I picked up used last summer that I'm thinking about getting upgraded. At the moment the truck is stock except for my TP efans, although I have a K&N 63 on its way to me, and I am planning on getting a maggy catback sometime soon. I drive at least 300+ miles a week, mainly 60-75 mph. My questions are:

1) What & how many custom tunes? (popular topic for questions, I know)
Right now I'm considering:

87 tow custom
87 perf custom (with economy for daily driving?)

If I really don't tow anything over 2500#, does it make sense to even get a custom tow tune? Although it makes some sense to have for future use... thoughts?

2) I know that some trucks are lean with aftermarket intakes, although I thought I read someplace that was only 04-05's. I'm assuming I can install my k&n when it gets here and run with it while my evo is getting upgraded?

3) I don't have the exhaust yet, does that make much difference in the custom tuning if I have or haven't got it by then?

4) Here in Iowa, the three common grades of gas are 87, 89(10% ethanol), & 91. I know that E85 and ethanol blends do not yield as good of mileage as unleaded, due to differing A/F ratios and such. I know that Bill can do any octane tuning, but is there anything that can be tweaked for the 89 (10%E) compared to a straight unleaded 89 tune? While the cost of the different grades is not a dealbreaker, I would be interested to see if tune for 89(10%E) could be optimized to yield the same results (mileage) as an 87 perf custom tune, since 89(10%E) is about 6-8 cents per gallon cheaper than 87. If not, I will just go with 87.

5) Since I live in Iowa (~1000ft ASL) that is the elevation I would like the tunes to be written for. However, I do visit my brother in Colorado Springs (~6500 ASL) a few times a year, which has high altitude gas (85). I have heard that octane numbered gas there burns about the same as a 2 pt higher here. (85@6500 ~ 87@1000, 87@6500~89@1000, etc). Do I need to be concerned with this at all? Or just not worry about it, for the relatively short time I drive at higher alt, and use 85 as if it were 87 when I am in Colorado? Maybe the mountain driving would be a good reason for having an 87 tow custom?

6) And lastly, I'm not in a huge hurry for this, so is there any upcoming sale or promotion that I should wait for?

Thanks for the help guys!