View Single Post
Old Mon, January 11th, 2021, 07:09 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Bill,

I’m also having an issue with the fan clutch on this unit. The original one didn’t work at all, so it’s now replaced with a new one from IH. This new one never shuts off. It has a temp adjustment that changes the preload of the bi-metal spring, which I have messed with and it still runs 100% of the time. My coolant temps stay ~170-180.

Have you messed with the fan clutches in these at all? It’s mechanical.

Jeff
I haven't messed with fan clutches since the '80s.

Everything I build now I run electric fans on as they tend to lend themselves better to thermostatic control. The problem is that on diesel trucks, you'd need several of them to achieve the airflow you'll need to cool the radiator and intercooler. At least two fans for each or maybe even three fans utilizing two on the front at top and bottom pushing and one rear middle pulling. It could be done fairly easily and could also be easily staggered based on temp (1 fan, 2 fans, 3 fans), and would just require quite the power block to feed it. That would give you cooling at idle, low speed, and heavy load conditions, while providing less fan under light loads, cool days, etc.

Anyway, that's just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
I also got some info from KC turbo that the VT has a much smaller turbo than the truck. Sounded like a swap to a stock truck turbo would be a decent upgrade, assuming tuning is available to accommodate the larger turbo? If so, I might also consider a KC stage 1 as well..

Jeff
I'm still getting my head around the many configurations that are available with these trucks. I've spent a great deal of time working with the 7.3L trucks and have a good library of calibrations and builds based on the many options available, but still working on the 6.0L stuff.

I'm personally not sure what turbo is used on the VT and how it relates to the 6.0L, so I would defer that to Charlie at KC. In fact, I think I'm going to give him a jingle tomorrow and have a chat about them.

The tuning itself should be pretty straightforward and I don't see an issue with that. Now, I personally prefer using the FICM as a means to increase performance since it directly controls the SOI and PW tables as well as a few other useful items. The ECM is usually used to control ICP, Turbo Control (Desired Boost and VVT Feedforward), Estimated Torque Output (for shifting), and EGR. Combined, these make for really good performance and drivability.

Anyway, I'll get back to you about turbo and tuning and let you know what I find.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!