View Single Post
Old Tue, February 2nd, 2021, 08:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'm personally a fan of leaving the VGT on, but just going with one that's a little bigger (depending on what model turbo you have now). I like the added boost a VGT achieves at low RPM, and it really doesn't affect the mid to upper RPMs if the vanes are properly controlled.

Lot of folks swap to a non-VGT setup with reasonable success, but many of those applications are for competition situations where spool time isn't a major consideration. On dedicated tow rigs where highway travelling is where most of the vehicle spends its time, swapping to a non-VGT may have some benefit. I'm just not sure it's worth the expense and aggravation.

This leads into your second question. We've done setups that use the VGT as an exhaust brake and it works quite well. Obviously, this would require you keeping the VGT setup versus swapping to a non-VGT.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!