View Single Post
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalandy View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I don't suspect the oil pressure as the problem. I have not put a second gauge on it, but the factory gauge still reads quite high. And has not changed since any of the problems started. These motors have a extremely well documented design flaw in the camshaft timing system. My motor runs great, has never throne a code or CEL, and only has 82,000 miles on it.

Most of the early 3 valve 5.4's have cam phaser knock, it is not a pressure problem but a phaser design problem. The Lockout basically locks the phaser into one position (60 degrees advanced), keeping it from being able to knock back and forth. Basically the motor acts as if it did not have a phaser at all.

This is not the first time a phaser has been locked out. I just need info about the programing side of it so I can get whatever I need to get this job done.

Thanks Again.

Andy
I really urge you to put an actual gauge on it. A few minutes of diagnostic can save you a bunch of time and money down the road.

The reason its "knocking" is because there is insufficient oil pressure to hold it into a full advance position. It could be a restriction (sludge) in the VCT solenoid body gasket or screen, it could be a solenoid issue....but if your chains are making noise too - it's likely this is not your issue because the tensioner gets the oil before it even hits the VCT solenoid.