View Single Post
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm tempted to move this to the "Towing" forum, and may do so eventually.

Be careful loading things in the trailer. If you actually have 7,000# there, your tongue weight should be 840-1050#. (12-15% of 7000.) Now, this can easily exceed your truck's rear axle limit unless you use a Weight Distributing hitch, which I think you need to use anyway if the trailer is in the 5000# range. But notice, the 1050# tongue weight is a Class IV WD hitch, and I think 600-750# for 5000# is too.

Also, what is the load rating on your trailer axle/tires? You should ideally not go higher than 80% of that figure.

Regardless, I URGE you to take your truck/trailer combination to a truck scale and get things weighed. You can get one weight with your truck's two axles on separate platforms and the trailer axle(s) on the third, and then do a separate weighing with the trailer disconnected on the third platform and the truck by itself on the first two platforms. This way, you will know your truck's axle loadings (with and without the trailer), and, you'll know the total weight of the trailer. DO NOT take the trailer manufacturer's word for anything!

Tell the person in charge of the scale what you want to do before driving on it. I think he/she will be very accommodating. And unless there's a big lineup of big rigs, you can take your time. When I did it here in Tucson, it was $9.00 per weighing. It was cheap information that led me to have my trailer axle moved forward 3" to balance the trailer properly (my "dry" trailer weight was actually higher than the manufacturer's spec, and the tongue weight was much higher than it should have been - overloading my WD hitch)!

Yes, talk to Bill if you can reach him about the advisability of a tow tune.

- Jack