View Single Post
Old Thu, March 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Truduals can be done anytime......its when you put longtube headers on that custom tunes will be needed ....cat deletes....and or high flow cats...

Don't forget install a x pipe...
88 - I have a question here, and I acknowledge your experience with these things when I ask it: If he installs a dual exhaust using either the H-pipe or X-Pipe configuration (eliminating the Y-Pipe), so that each bank is rally "balanced" and is not causing a conflict, wouldn't that require a custom tune to take advantage of the new configuration?

Back to the Op's original post though, do you really plan to fill your tank with 93 octane stuff when you tow? Somehow, this doesn't compute in my feeble little mind. You're already using gas that has a higher knock resistance than the engine really needs (89 octane). The additives that are put in to raise the octane to 93 actually reduce, to some extent, the energy available. They make the fuel more resistant to ignition and, slow the burn rate when it does ignite. This is all fine and dandy when you're spinning the motor at 5K, but you're not going to be doing that while towing, (I hope).

So, if you really just want to have fun, I'd suggest a 93 octane PERFORMANCE tune and an 89 octane tow tune. But there's another consideration: If you tow some distance from where you live, will you find 89 octane juice? If not, I really recommend an 87 octane tow tune. You do not want detonation while towing! You can used 89 octane gas in an 87 octane tow tune.

But with gas prices going up, I think I'd opt for what I have: 87 non-tow and 87 tow tunes.

And, I'm just pointing these things out. I may be way off base here, but I'd like you to think about it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer