View Single Post
Old Thu, October 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
I thought if you put it in second it still drops to first if you stop or put too much load on?
with engine braking you are forcing the front and rear axle to stay at the same speed rather than one end locking up though.... would be fun to try out some tuning ... at some point Ill get some quiet time to look at my maps and see what I can change

Humm what about increasing the amount of torque reduction in the up shift. Im thinking higher throttle position the more torque reduction you would want???

Nope, no matter how far into the go-pedal you get, if the selector is in "2", then the truck will be in second. It is a function of the manual valve only (the one hooked to the shift cable). GM on the other hand....

The problem with driving in four wheel drive is that there is ALWAYS the increased possibility of a slide due to ALL tires losing traction. During engine braking, it's not really likely. However, when in 4x4 with a mechanically linked transfer system (like our SD trucks and Excursions have) if one wheel locks up....they all lock. Also during turning maneuvers, the risk of the rear tires pushing the front through a corner is increased....especially with a limited slip rear differential because the binding created in the drivetrain WILL be alleviated through the drive wheels.

The factory "torque reduction" strategy is great. The way they are set up in most aftermarket tuning is too harsh. Bill and I have already went into this a little.