View Single Post
Old Sat, July 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTX View Post
Hey, I came across some articles about this too. Quite a while ago, I might add. Just didn't seem like it was something I was willing to do with this truck. Besides, I don't know if I'd want to see if long term use in the truck would eventually damage anything in the fuel system. I know we had a heck of time with some of the sending units on Jags, which were pretty much produced by a Ford supplier (complete with Ford engineering numbers).
I don't know that long term use will hurt anything - the concentration is VERY low. And, I think that most injector cleaners might contain acetone too. But, it IS a powerful solvent and you certainly do not want to get it on your paint.

The "researcher" who wrote about it is very convincing until he turns his discussion into a "rant" against big oil companies and how they're in cahoots with automakers to force you to buy more of their product. That argument never holds up, especially now. It's in everyone's interest to cut fuel usage if possible. If we do, we prolong the life of the internal combustion engine, and, oil producers can just charge more per gallon if vehicles use less.

If we run out of oil though, an alternative energy source will have to be devised, and that may cut oil companies out of the picture completely. It certainly makes their investment in refineries, drilling operations and fuel distribution networks worthless.

Additionally, the entire engine manufacturing industry would have to completely retool, discarding their current manufacturing system.

It is clearly in the interest of both oil and auto manufacturers to make small "adjustments" to the current technology to extend its life as long as possible. Oil companies already put all kinds of "additives" in gas to improve its performance. In my opinion, they would not hesitate to add this little bit of acetone if it really did anything.

- Jack