Thread: Boom
View Single Post
Old Thu, December 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Whopper Junior

fordzilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
FZ,

First off, let me welcome you to the forum! We are glad to have you here, although I wish it was under better circumstances. I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. That sucks for sure.

Anyway, at this point I don't know of any cheap alternatives to Crower/Hypermax rods. I don't know anything about R&R so I can't offer any opinion on them.

The stock forged rods should be able to handle up to 500 HP with conservative timing tables and are certainly better than the stock PMR variety, but if you're looking to make more power than that then you're much better off investing in aftermarket rods and know that you're going to stay together. Popular opinion at one time was Crower was a better rod but I don't know if that opinion has shifted at all recently. Again, it all depends on what you're looking to make for power and then make smart component choices that will be able to handle those power levels.

If you don't mind me asking, I've got a couple questions.

1) How much power had you been making up to this point?
2) What program were you running when the engine let go?
3) Were you running hard or cruising when the engine went?
4) Any idea what you'd been running for ICP?

Let me know if there's anything we can help you with.

Take care.

1. I am told that I should be right around if not a little better than the 400rwhp mark.
2. I was in my 140hp DP tuner tune (custom for my hybrid Stage III 235CC Injectors & Garrett BB turbo) Stock HPOP
3. Just started to get into it, shifted into 3rd or 4th (can't remember) just starting to make some boost probably 20-25psi, somewhere around 2000-2300rpm?
4. No idea on ICP.

Just put the injectors and turbo in about 1month prior, maybe 400miles on the new parts. Engine had 200,000KMS

I am looking for the best place to purchase some good rods, it seems that most places are around 2600/USD for the Crowers. Are there any other options that could be a little bit more affordable? I don't plan on doing much more (maybe dual HPOP at some point down the road), but want to ensure that I am reliable. I typically get max out around 45psi boost when hard into it.