View Single Post
Old Sun, August 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Whopper Junior

JoeBiker is on a distinguished road
Default P061 musings

First my CS unit was defective and replaced by EDGE and is just over 2 months old.

I have been running the canned tow tune for 2 months (2007 xcab 4x4 4.6 l). I just changed gears from 3.55 to 4.10 and installed a true trac in the rear.

The shop drained my battery with the truck on the hoist. Good info to know since I was going to update the custom settings for the new gears and re-program.

So after charging the battery for 1.5 days , today I went into the custom settings and changed the tire size and gear ration on the CS.

For sure throttle response with the level 2 tow tune and no corrections for the gears was INSTANT.

I'm still running stock tires but according to the PHP calculator I needed to up the size by 1" as opposed to the data on the CS. ( I'm not sure if tire squish is built into the calculator).The CS had 3.73 set as factory default so I changed this to the new 4.10 ratio.

Then I returned the truck to the stock tune , went in the custom settings to ensure the custom settings were still there then re-programmed to the level 2 tow tune.

Drove out in to the street , cruised down to the first stop sign and as soon as I pulled out into the main highway traffic (a normal dose of go pedal) the truck goes into limp mode. I pulled over shut her down and re-started and eventually got it home. CS identified the P061B code. Which I cleared and the truck has gone for a couple short drives with no issues.

I have no modifications to the air intake and my throttle body was just cleaned. I have read about CAI , MAS, throttle body all being possible culprits but in my case I'm fairly dubious about those causing the problem.

I've also read people have had this code reoccur 10 -20 times so I guess we will just have to wait and see. This issue supposedly happens more often when running the level 2 canned tune??Custom tunes seem to put this issue to rest ??

My question is if we are in general agreement with Bill that a custom tune will solve the problem why can't the root cause of the code being thrown be clearly specified. Let me re-state what is the difference between the canned tunes and a custom program that supposedly makes all the difference in resolving this code?