View Single Post
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
From my experience, either single in type is fine. The exit is personal preference as to whether you want a single pipe out the passenger side or duals out the back/corners/sides.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Back in the bad old days, before most of you were born, duals with straight pipes that were tuned properly (you didn't want interfering pressure pulses) were supposed to "scavenge" the cylinders better during the exhaust stroke so that they were "cleaner" for the next intake charge.

I imagine, with the introduction of catalytic converters, EGR valves and the like, that these ideas sort of went the way of the dodo.

You'd need a bigger capacity exhaust system if say, you put a blower on the engine (conservation of mass again), but I doubt there's too much reason for changing it otherwise (beyond looks or sound). Possibly you can get a slight power increase with a less restrictive exhaust system, but I doubt it is going to be a significant change on anything beyond your wallet. My

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer