View Single Post
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualSeanX View Post
Also, someone suggest I obtain a datalog from my truck, I assume using my gryphon, insinuating that it may help in diagnosing a potential problem. Does anyone know about that? Perhaps someone could enlighten me on how to get it, how to use it, where to post it, etc...Thanks
See the link in my sig pic. Datalogging instructions for the monochrome gryphons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualSeanX View Post
Forced induction? I'm confused. I see people with 3.73 and 35'' tires doing 7.5's and 8's. Are they all full of it?

I guess what I really mean to say is, I was expecting that my 0-60 time would be better when I put in 4.56 gearing. Instead it literally hasn't changed at all. And to add insult to injury, my millage suffers slightly as well. So, did I waste 1300? What is everyone talking about saying that they get better performance or their low end grunt back by regearing.

Don't get me wrong, my 0-60 time is not really a big deal. It's more just something to help me gauge how my truck is doing power wise and how it stacks up compared to other trucks like and unlike my build.

As it stands, it doesn't seem to stack up well against other like builds, so that makes me think something is wrong.

With my tranny temps siting at 16X degrees and perhaps original spark plugs, and maybe even a torque converter issue, I'm praying that is the issue.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you at this time that forced induction would be required to get the f150 to the 8's 0-60. Especially considering I've hit 9.1 seconds once.

I appreciate the input, perhaps you could explain to me a bit more on why you feel forced induction would really be needed to get me to where I want my truck to be. Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, just genuinely curious.

Thanks again for your time and anyone else who may have an idea as to whats going on with my truck.

1. Do not use the programmer. It is full of chit. Get your tire size dialed in and use a stopwatch. Any result from the programmer's "performance test" will be incorrect. I'm not sure why they are wrong but comparing to an official drag strip the 1/4 mile times are wrong. Also, I could make my truck have a 5 second 0-60 by regearing and not entering it into the tune. If you were to reprogram your truck and not change to the correct gearing the speedo would read faster, the 0-60 would improve dramatically as a consequence from an incorrect reading.

2. Based on what I've been seeing over the years the 4.56 gears are too low for regular driving. For 35" tires, most people go to the 4.10s unless they are doing a bunch of towing. Like the quote from Bill that Cody included, having the gears too low keeps the PCM from properly computing engine load. Your gearing is fitting for 37+ inch tires. I also would be happy that the mileage hasn't taken a nose dive. IMO, if you are going to be throwing on huge tires and lower gearing, you have to pay to play. You won't be improving mileage by making your truck less efficient at delivering power to the ground.

3. You are also battling physics, something that does not lose. By increasing tire size you increase the rotational inertia of the tires, making it harder to accelerate. You are also increasing the mass, which compounds the inertia. The lift probably doesn't help because if the truck rears back on acceleration, that is wasting energy.

Forced induction effectively gives you more power at a given RPM. Cody nailed it with his last post. In a 0-60 you need to generate as much power as quickly as possible.