View Single Post
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where'd it come from? And, what does it cost, does it work, etc., etc.?

- Jack

Thanks...It's actually the stock tube with the baffles cut off and capped. I also sealed the 6 holes you mentioned with silicone sealant. I took the bellows end off and replaced it with a flexible 3" Y pipe then I ran some 3" flexible metal ducting into the fenderwell and another length of ducting through the radiator support down to the rear of the tow hook which should add a little bit of ram air effect. I like your use of the ABS plastic pipe into the fenderwell better, however, so I might steal that idea later...BTW, do you think the end that is inserted into the fender could be heated and formed to fit inside the oval opening to avoid the sanding?
As far as it making a difference...to early to tell. I am still using the stock filter, which I plan to change to a Amsoil soon, so I doubt I have seen the full potential. I have not heard any whistling noises as of yet, but I haven't done any interstate driving or made any high RPM runs yet...I'll follow-up if I notice any strange sounds. I'll follow-up on MPG's also. Since the mod, which has only been a couple of days, I haven't driven my normal route which is very short with a lot of stopping and starting, so any numbers I would give now would be misleading.
Total cost was around $30 for the parts.
I have several other pics of the mod in my album...check 'em out.
Originally, I was going to do the same mod as you sans ABS pipe, but then I saw the Y-pipe while I was shopping for the other parts and figured hmmm...2 cold air inlets would be better than 1, so that's what I came up with.