View Single Post
Old Wed, February 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Coach View Post
1. If the previous owner used a tuner how would I know and what would happen if I installed the Gryphon and tried to install the new tunes? Would that be an issue trying to ever get it back to stock? Not knowing the history of the truck makes me nervous and I don’t want to have a problem. How does PHP deal with used truck with unknown histories? I bought it Certified Used from a dealer.
The gryphon just wont be able to load any of the tunes. I'm not positive on the details but Bill can write you a new stock tune. Just make sure when you first hook the programmer up that there is a zero in the top right corner, the dealership might have reflashed the PCM to have a new hex code if the truck had been programmed.

Quote:
2. Means that I live in the communist state of California, I have read that Edge tuners are OK for CARB requirements, but Gryphon’s are not. What does that really mean? Do I have to buy the Edge?
You can still buy a Gryphon. I think Edge has to follow CARB requirements because of the type of company, PHP might be considered a personal business. I'm not really sure about this part so one of the big guys'll have to explain. All I really know about CARB is that they are good at making things complicated. I do know that it has something to do with PHP doing custom tunes, something that EDGE isn't allowed to do.

Quote:
3. I have also read conflicting reports of what people do when it is time for their emissions check. Return to stock, leave truck tuned. What does PHP say? California like everything else is really strict on the tests.
Leave it programmed. By returning the truck to stock you pretty much make it forget how to run efficiently. You will also get a P1000 code which will keep them from passing you.