View Single Post
Old Thu, December 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Henry, I'm going to reply "inline" in your post. It's all right to ask questions in this forum, you're among friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2205 View Post
I'm showing my lack of knowledge of things with my Gryphon, but that's ok to me.

While plowing last night, heavy/wet snow, my Gryphon showed engine coolant at 220 and trans at 210. From what I read here, that 220 reading isn't actually a sensor output but an interpreted value from another. Should I switch thing so I'm reading this other sensor? (Not that I've learned how to do that yet). Plus is my trans reading a sensor output or the same sort of deal? I want to understand if I'm getting good information or "interpreted" information.

I would monitor CHT, not ECT. The CHT IS from a sensor on the engine and is not inferred. The TFT reading is coming from a sensor too, so it is not inferred. I read somewhere once upon a time where this sensor was, but I can't remember its location right now and I'm not seeing it in my Haynes manual. Changing what is monitored is simple: Press the [menu] button, choose "Setup", then choose "Display". Pick the position you want to change and then choose the value from the list that appears that you want to see. Hit [Enter] to move that value into the display. The procedure is on Page 20 of the current Gryphon manual I believe.

I was hot enough that the motor was rattling (pinging maybe) when I applied pressure to get the truck rolling. While the truck certainly runs 25 or so degrees hotter with the plow, this was the hottest I've run so far. (I'm ready for Spring and it's not even officially winter, ugh....)

You were certainly under load, and the engine could have been "pinging". Even though it's cold where you are, the combination of the plow and your low speed is going to limit engine cooling. The high engine temp can certainly make pinging more likely. I doubt if it's a real problem as long as it's only happening when you plow.

What do you guys suggest in terms of what I should monitor (please point me to instructions on how to change things). Plus what tune would you think make more sense to run while plowing? I have a custom performance 87 and a custom tow 87. (I'm not much for changing tunes, I've only done this maybe 3 times since receiving the Gryphon this summer).

I would definitely use the tow tune to plow. What you are doing is not much different than pulling a heavy load. I'd monitor the CHT and TFT. If you can monitor the Oil Temperature (later model trucks can't) it will scare you, so do it if you like to be worried. I don't really have any other things I'd advise looking at while plowing, maybe the Comm Gear?

It's really a shame other sites have changed the way they have. It used to be about sharing information, with some opinions. Now it's about opinions and flaming.

Thanks for your ideas.
I hear you about the other sites. We're TRYING to get f150online "cleaned up" and it's pretty good now.

- Jack