View Single Post
Old Sat, December 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Jack,

I was just having a discussion this morning with a friend of mine. He and his girlfriend are driving to Las Vegas right now for a vacation. The battery light on her 08 Suburban came on along with a message saying "Service Charging System". I've worked on a ton of these things before I quit working for Big Brother Motors....and yes, the charging system IS integrated into a separate module (and oftentimes PCM). It's more complicated than it has to be, but the auto manufacturers have to justify the added sticker price somehow!

Long story short, the alternator is still charging at 14.5 volts, but it is only a fail-safe mode. Typically, the battery and charging system control module will run a lower voltage if there aren't any loads running to reduce engine drag and help prevent over-charging. But internally regulated alternators have been doing a superb job of running accessories and keeping the battery "topped off" for how long now with no issues? Oh yeah...about forever.