View Single Post
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I dont think the reservoir is his issue. It probably broke the timing cover, which requires the engine to be pulled to replace. It might appear that you can slip it out of there but the oil pickup tube is bolted to the bottom of it, which means the pan needs to come off.

As far as it being welded, it is not likely. I personally dont do any aluminum stuff, but I have a buddy who is real good at it. According to him it can be a real bear to weld any aluminum that is in contact with oil. He says the aluminum is porous enough to "soak up" the oil and it starts to come out when you weld it, ruining the weld. You can use some special cleaners (acid) to help draw it out, but this can be very time consuming and still will not guarantee that the welds will come out.

If I was to do it I would just buy a new cover, $500 sounds very steep though. You might call up Swamps Diesel, they quoted me for one a while back and I dont think it was anywhere near that much. Or find someone who can get you a discount, you might even talk to your local shop to see what they can do for you.

Good Luck