View Single Post
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4crs View Post
Thanks Jack, I went ahead and put together a write up with pictures and emailed it to Bill for him to proof read and post. I concur with Bill regarding the purpose of the holes in the bottom of the stock intake tube being there for water elimination. The nice thing about the DWV intake mod and its variations is that it preserves the noise canceling abilities of the factory intake which is a CAI even in stock form. It just needs the restriction removed.
In restudying the intake, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea that the holes might be there to drain water. In the case of the 2 rows of three on the bottom of the intake duct, they ARE fairly close to the lowest point on the duct (before it reaches the bellows) and the front row seem to be at the exact bottom of the curvature of the duct. The back row, however is somewhat "uphill" from the bottom of the duct and this seems counterproductive.

There are three resonator chambers. The front large one has a larger hole near, but not at, the lowest point and then another, smaller hole up higher, close to the halfway point. The small rear chamber has a hole at the lowest point. The smaller front chamber has no holes at all. So, the ones with holes could have them for draining water too, but why are they not at the lowest point in the big chamber?

As I said, I'm lukewarm to the holes being drain holes, but why have some of them "uphill"?

On a related note, AgentOrange, I looked through your album at your intake mod. Nice work! However, I'm a little concerned that the intake sitting right behind the tow hook is positioned to really take a big drink of water in the event of driving through a deep puddle or maybe even just heavy rain. I know the tube runs uphill quite a distance from that point, but when the engine is at high rpm, isn't it possible that there could be enough suction to pull water up into the filter box? I like the ram effect idea, but I think if I were going to do this mod, I'd run the secondary duct up high, perhaps just under the headlight. You lose the ram effect here, but the opening would be out of the hot engine compartment.

I like the flexible metal duct into the fender well. Sure looks easier than shaping a rigid ABS tube.

- Jack