View Single Post
Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrthomas15 View Post
I have a 2006 xlt 4x4 with 35's.my question is what do you guys think about changing gears. Is it worth it to change. I have 3.55s ls
Well, those gears with those tires make for a pretty slow accelerating truck (at any speed). If you want more acceleration, a higher gear ratio is certainly the way to get it. AND, if you tow much, I'd say you are badly undergeared, which probably puts more strain on your transmission.

BUT, you have a 4x4, which means you need to regear both the front and the rear. This is not cheap, but I don't have any figures to quote you. It would be less expensive to return to your OEM tire size, I think.

What were your OEM tires? We could use the gear ratio calculator to figure out a suitable replacement gearing to get you back to what you had at stock. And, the next size up from that would give even better pulling power probably.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer