View Single Post
Old Mon, May 16th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Whopper

bighorn466e is on a distinguished road
Yes Nod Is it possible that my truck is pulling boost in order to keep my engine oil temps do

Is it possible that my truck is pulling boost in order to keep my engine oil temps down?

After doing 24 pulls collecting just under 8000 datapoints with the truck unloaded I think I may have found a bit of a trend across quite a few datapoints.

I repeatedly recorded runs accelerating from 60ish to 70ish mph. I then built a table of the median recorded boost pressure for all of the points with over 5 samples and an engine load over 95%. The smooth gradient that resulted looks shockingly like a limiter to me but it is at a temperature much lower than expected.

Looking at a graph of engine oil vs coolant temp it seems like there is a thermostat of sorts properly regulating the oil to ~225* because as coolant temps rise oil temps remain constant which is not the behavior I would expect with a blocked or otherwise malfunctioning oil cooler. I also don't particularly want to try to add an aux oil cooler at these temps and risk keeping the oil too cool to boil off any moisture.

Given that (to me) the issue seems to be an unknown limiter is there any risk in using orion to go to a "known" programming that wouldn't have any strange limiters and then monitor EOT closely? If this is an unknown limiter I'd expect this lower power behavior around 2100 rpms to stop and temps to stay the same.

As requested here is a video when hot showing how the truck was accelerating faster at higher rpm, the differences in the turbo sound I am hearing are not as noticeable in the video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpL6TuoBYTNVtywy8
Attached Images
File Type: png Boost_RPM_Oil.png (39.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png coolant_vs_oil.png (11.6 KB, 2 views)