View Single Post
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcon41 View Post
So I took a different approach at engineering a CAI. First off let me say that I bought a K&N CAI when I first bought the truck thinking that it would make a world of difference, save me money on gas, and increase power. After the installation I noticed a decrease in power and after the first tank of gas the mileage was worse. I spent over $200 bones on this P.O.S. Long story short I recently figured out how to use my CS Programmer and the available live feeds. I used the IAT setting on the CS and quickly found out that my "K&N CAI" was actually more like a hot air intake. It was always at least 10 degs hotter than the outside air temp. When at a stoplight, it would spike to almost 30 degs above outside air temp. So I started doing some research...and found this feed.
After doing some research and seeing the "gotts mod" I had an idea in my head and went to Lowe's and did some shopping. What I ended up creating was a CAI/Ram Air Intake. Long story short I took a 3" 90deg elbow and attached it to the stock intake tube with a rubber coupler. From the 90 I took some 4" cheap drier duct and "snaked" it to the bottom of the front bumper and attached a 3"x8"x4" collector. It cost $30 and took me 1 hr to install.
I just got back from the initial test drive and wow!!! Before the "kingcon mod" with the K&N CAI the live MPG PID was reading 17-18mpg on the highway...after the mod it was reading 21-23mpg. In addition the IAT was the same as the outdoor temp on the highway. At stoplights it would slightly increase to 5-10degs above outside temp and would go back down once I got going. In addition, using my "*** dyno" the power off the line was improved over the K&N.
Like I said this is a crude cheap design, but the results so far are above my personal expectations. I will post additional info in regard to MPG's when I fill up and can do that test. Also, when I can get a camera, I will take and upload pics of the mod.
Happy Engineering!!!
Pics please

Oh and did you engineer some way for water to come out if you drive through a rainstorm?